Lima Catacombs Tour
The Catacombs of Lima are crypts that served members of associations of the Catholic faithful.
Located in the San Francisco church in the historic center of Lima. They are considered, together with the church, as historical patrimony of the country. Its style is very similar to the Catacombs of Paris.
Very visited place, undoubtedly one of the good options to do in Lima.
What to do in the Catacombs of Lima
It all begins at the entrance to the church of San Francisco de Asis with its Limean baroque style and a monumental yellow.
The entrance to the catacombs of Lima is made from the porter’s room, appreciate the artistic elements that make life inside the place, in which the tiles of the floor, the paintings and the sculptures of saints stand out.
The guide of the visit tells very well the origin of the architectural and religious elements, the regular work of the Franciscan friars and the rooms inside the convent of San Francisco.
Touring The Catacombs
- The tour through the catacombs of Lima is completely subway and lasts approximately 30 minutes.
- Admire the vaults built with brick, lime and stone, while in the lower part you can see how the bodies were arranged for better distribution.
- It is estimated that at the time it must have held at least 25,000 people.
- It is impressive to see how some bones such as skulls, tibias, femurs and fibulas are preserved.
The catacombs of Lima have become a place of tourist and historical nature that has shaken more than one visitor.
Recommendations for the visit
- Not recommended for visiting with small children or strollers.
- Visiting it by tour is highly recommended.
- If you do not go on a tour, the entrance fee is paid in cash.
- Photos and videos are not allowed according to the site indications.
- Catacombs of Lima: Monday to Sunday 10.00h to 20.00h.
- Church of San Francisco de Asis: Monday to Sunday 7.00h to 11.00h and 16.00h to 20.00h.